Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I Like to Read Books.

I like to read books.

Cassie and I have been planning our Nauvoo trip (as y'alls know), and all this talk of sites we want to visit has rekindled my interest in reading books about church history.  Before my mission I started The Work and the Glory series - I read the first book in about a day.  I love the way the book was written and I was excited to continue reading.  However, after giving it some thought, I decided that I should probably spend my reading time studying the scriptures.  Not only was I preparing to serve a mission, but I had only been a member of the Church for about a year.  I clearly had much to learn about basic gospel principles.  So at that time, I put my Work and the Glory plans to rest.

Many of you may not know or remember this, but I moved to Utah for about a year in January 2008.  It was kind of a transitional waiting period between Rexburg and whatever was to come next (a short stint in Southern California followed by a couple more months in Orem followed by the move to Arizona).  While I was there, I didn't make "friend-finding" a priority, so I had a lot of time on my hands.  I went to Deseret Book one day and purchased the paperback copy of all of the books in the Work and the Glory series (all that were available in paperback anyway.  I don't remember if that was the entire series).  I was excited and had every intention of reading the series.

And then I discovered Guitar Hero with my roommates...  I eventually sold the books to a used bookstore without ever reading them.  Oops.

Anyway, fast forward to yesterday.  I decided to look the books up on Amazon to see what kind of price paperback copies were going for.  It turns out that the new paperbacks were pretty pricey.  I did find that many used paperback copies were selling for less than $1 (with $4 shipping), and I thought maybe now would be the time to order the series again.  I added them all to my cart and almost purchased the entire set for something around $60.  Buuuuuuut I didn't buy them.  I didn't want to spend $60 on a series of books while I am trying to save up for the Nauvoo trip.

This all brings us to today.  The wife and I had the day off.  She wanted to go check out some things at Goodwill and of course I tagged along.  I spent my time looking through the books.  I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but I did see some random LDS books on a few of the shelves.  The thought came to me that, "wouldn't it be funny/awesome if I found some of the Work and the Glory books here?"    Welp... on the other side of the bookshelf look what I found!!


This really made my day for a few reasons:

1.  It was only $1.99
2.  It was the only Work and the Glory book in Goodwill, and it happened to be the first book in the series.
3.  This discovery set our course for the next couple hours of our afternoon... because of this little gem I discovered, we went to another Goodwill and to Desert Industries seeking more treasure (and I did, in fact, find treasure at DI in the form of the book Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for $1)

And now, a haiku:

I like to read books.
Book has been found at Goodwill.
Work and the Glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment