Monday, January 21, 2013

Tucson - The City of Sonoran Hot Dogs

The Sonoran Hot Dog

I'm not sure how long ago I heard of the Sonoran Hot Dog on Man vs Food, but I do know that ever since then I have wanted to taste the processed goodness that I witnessed on TV.  Tucson isn't tooooo far from here, but I decided that an hour and half drive was probably too long for a hot dog.  BUT, I am now married to a lovely lady who has a best friend that now lives in Tucson.  So today, we took a trip down to the dirty city to enjoy the day having fun with friends.... oh, and because I had a date with greasy meat-parts destiny!!!!

We were originally going to leave around 1 or so, but finally left Tempe around 1:45 (after the normal wardrobe and hair changes the wife goes through every day while trying to find the right look for the day).  The drive went a lot quicker than I thought it would, and in no time we were sitting in Sam and Melissa's apartment.  We sat around and chatted for a short bit, but since we were all very hungry it was soon time to head down to El Guero Canelo to stuff our faces.

When we arrived, Melissa first pulled into the parking lot where a drunk man was sunbathing, but Melissa took Sam's suggestion and parked in another spot.  We got out of the car, and as we were walking to the building, the drunk man's friend approached us asking for change.  None of us had cash, but the lady said she was just hungry and wanted something to eat, so Sam and Melissa, being the kind people that they are, ended up buying the lady a burrito.

Inside the restaurant, I saw that the menu was pretty small, but that made no difference to me - I knew what I was there for.  The wife was a little apprehensive about trying adventurous things on the menu so she ended up ordering a bean and cheese burrito and an horchata.  I ordered the same... along with the deliciousness known as the Sonoran Hot Dog.  This is a hot dog wrapped in bacon and stuffed in a special bun, and then smothered in beans, tomatoes, grilled onions, fresh onions, mayo, mustard and jalapeno sauce.  I ordered mine without the onions.  Ladies and gentleman, I just don't know what to say.  This hot dog was easily the best hot dog I have EVER had.  I wish I had ordered two hot dogs instead of the burrito (which was actually tasty as well).

The good news is we will be going back to Tucson at least two more times this spring.  We purchased tickets to see Wicked in Tucson in March and Blue Man Group in April.  I can assure you that I will be eating Sonoran Hot Dog on both of those trips!

Oh, and the rest of the day was fun, too.  We went back to the Whitmer's and played some games - Pandemic, Things, and a new version of Apples to Apples.  Awesome day!

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I loved how you said that Melissa parked in a different space at Sam's suggestion. Too funny. And you planned those concerts around the hot dogs, didn't you?! I see how it is... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life now revolves around the hot dogs.... But seriously, Melissa was about to run over the drunk guy's legs hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely going on my bucket list. I'm excited to give it a try someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonoran dogs will change your life. Definitely worth the drive to Tucson.

    ReplyDelete